Databases, like Scopus, often index open-access articles, making it much easier to find open access articles in a particular subject area.
Open access types available in Scopus:
- Gold: documents that are in journals which only publish open access.
- Hybrid-Gold: documents that are in journals which provide authors the choice of publishing open access.
- Bronze: published version of record or manuscript accepted for publication. The publisher has chosen to provide temporary or permanent free access.
- Green: published version or manuscript accepted for publication, available at repository.
What are the advantages of using open access articles?
- Greater access to publications that are typically blocked by a paywall
- Immediate access to digital content
Written by Lauren Hollman, CUE Library Services Assistant.
Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition. (2022). Open access. https://sparcopen.org/open-access/